To donate $5 a year in support of this blog use your PayPal account to send to janetgroene at yahoo.com
Every week see new tips and trips for RV travel on your Kindle from Amazon by subscription. Free trial.
Winter RV Camping Can Be the Best!
copyright janet groene
When you love snow sports there is one more wrinkle to be added. Go to the destination in your RV and have your own bed and breakfast plus an enchanted snow globe of outdoor sports from skiing to skating plus indoor activities involving hot toddies, crackling fireplaces and good company.
|Hang out in a cozy bistro or brewpub|
Most winter resorts tout their wonderful restaurants, shops, ski slopes, scenery and spas, but let’s get down to nuts and bolts. Here are questions to ask before you head out in your RV for that winter destination.
* Are you experienced in winter RV driving? If not, Steamboat Springs, Colorado offers the Bridgestone Winter Driving School. People come from all over the world for classes, private lessons and hands-on experience on their snow and ice road courses.
* Are campgrounds open all year and what hookups are always available? Will you water and sewer hoses freeze? Franconia Notch State Park in New Hampshire is a winter paradise and its seven-site campground is available for $25 nightly. However, there are no hookups. Bring everything you need with you. Take everything out with you.
* Are all campground features available in winter including showers, hot tub, wi-fi, propane refill, dump station, restaurants, camp store? Is the toilet room heated? Is it open 24/7?
* What altitudes and temperatures will you encounter? If you live in a temperate climate you may need to learn more about high altitude cooking. Check with your mechanic about winterizing the RV for severe conditions.
|Skijoring is a popular new snow sport|
* What about camping costs in winter? Are they more, less or the same than I found at the same place last summer?
* If you’re going specifically for the skiing or snowshoe hiking or ice skating, how close is your campsite to these sports? Does the campground run a shuttle to the slopes?
See quick recipes for the RV galley, new each week, at https://campandrvcook.blogspot.com
Order the book Skijoring with Your Dog, 2nd Edition here.
Order a heated drinking water hose here.
See heating pads for holding tanks here
This inexpensive cover protects your rooftop air conditiioner in winter.
Stuff this insulated custom cushion into air vents to keep cold air out. It's designed to fit standard openings and has a pull tab for easy removal.