Friday, March 24, 2017

Better RV Life, Better Towing

blog copyright janet groene. All rights reserved. To ask about rates for one ad, one year, all Groene sites, email

Subscribe to this blog and Amazon will automatically send it to your Kindle or device each week. Free trial.

Things to Know Before You Tow
    Think you’ll never tow? Even if your RV is a motorhome, providing you a complete home and complete vehicle in one, you may want to tow something someday: a small car, a trailer with watercraft or motorcycles, a sailboat, a jon boat for fishing . 

    You already have insurance on the vehicle that does the pulling. You have insurance on the car, boat, water toy or ATV that is being pulled.   But what about the trailer or dolly under that car, boat or ATV?
  Here, from Boat Owners Association of the United States, are tips on protecting a tow.

    + First, says BoatUS,  understand the roles of your homeowner*, auto, boat and boat trailer insurances. 

    + When shopping for insurance for your trailerable boat, ask if the policy provides boat trailer coverage. Not all insurers provide it.

    + Know the value of the dolly or  trailer itself.  Your insurer needs to know the cost of the boat and trailer separately. If not, the insurer may have difficulty compensating you fairly in the event of a claim.

    + Are there geographic limits on how far you may trailer a boat? 

    + Check your auto/truck/motorhome insurance. Does it include liability coverage for  damage to others’ property caused while trailering? Say, for example, you are driving the motorhome while towing a trailer and back it into a fence. Is your motorhome liable? Your trailer? The boat or motorcycles on the trailer?  

    + Check your homeowner’s insurance to make sure the trailer itself is covered when it’s parked at home. 

    + Read the fine print. If you store a boat trailer at a marina or other storage facility, what about insurance?  It’s likely the facility isn’t liable for any loss. 

    + Roadside assistance?  Your RV's coverage may include roadside assistance but what if it’s the trailer that is disabled and you have to leave it at the side of the road? Coverage may be available at added cost, usually with a towing limit of 50 or 100 miles.

    The more travel toys you have, the more important it is to get insurance from a specialist who covers all the bases from all possible angles.
* If you are a full-time RV-er with no homeowner insurance, look into extra policies to cover things usually covered by a homeowner policy. (Such as your dog biting a neighbor or your golf ball hitting another player.) 

    Janet Groene’s recipes and tips for camp cooks are found at Camp and RV Cook.

No comments: